Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 14:21:17 +0100
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>, Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HotJava

> > 2) The job is non-trivial.  He was rather vague, but mumbled something
> > about possibly needing kernel support.
>
> I suspect this may have to do with on-the-fly code
> generation from the byte-code.

The usual problems with on-the-fly code generation are

(a) If you jump to the new code just after writing it, your pipeline may
    get filled before the code is written.  This can be solved by
    executing a few NOPs after generating the code.
(b) If you have separate I/D cache, you may have to flush (part of) the
    I cache in order to see the modified code.  This doesn't arise on
    386/486, does it?  What about 586?

> I must say I am not sold on Java yet.  Scheme remains my
> favorite prototyping language.

I'm hoping that the GNU scripting language (which will be a Scheme)
will come along and displace perl and tk/tcl, but I'm not holding my
breath.  At least Java exists, though Sun's experience with NeWS
(which also encouraged downloading small programs [in postscript])
isn't especially encouraging.

-- Richard