Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:18:52 -0500
From:      Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
To:        Stephen Cook <sclists@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ezjail setup - base and skeleton on SSD, jails on ZFS

Hi Stephen,

The only way that I can see having that work would be to create dedicated pa=
rtitions on your SSD for your base and skeleton jails and have them mounted u=
pon boot. But that's really a stretch as far as solutions go. But, what you r=
eally want to do is use your SSD to speed up your system; which there's a mu=
ch better solution for, and it's built into ZFS. It's called an L2ARC.

Basically, what this does is it specifies the entire SSD drive as a read cac=
he for ZFS to use. ZFS will automatically figure out what files on your syst=
em are most commonly read, and place copies of those onto the SSD; if your b=
ase jails are used as commonly as you imply, they will certainly end up ther=
e.

First, run the 'format' command to figure out what drive your SSD is.

Then, run 'zpool add <pool name> cache <drive name>', like 'zpool add tank c=
ache c4t2d0'

Then, when you run 'zpool status', you should see the SSD drive added to the=
 pool, under the category 'Cache'.

Thanks,
--Matt

> On Jun 14, 2014, at 7:25 AM, Stephen Cook <sclists@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Is it possible to set up ezjail to put the base and skeleton jails on the S=
SD I use for boot and /, but all the other jails on my ZFS?