Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:02:12 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        Darrin Chandler <dwchandler@stilyagin.com>, Atom Powers <atom.powers@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: BSDstats: Just added - Vendor Stats

--------------enigB463912459273819A44701D3

Nikolas Britton wrote:

> What I think is interesting is the only ~50% uptake of FreeBSD/amd64
> on 64-bit x86 capable systems. FreeBSD/i386 takes ~90% of the pie.
> Also the less then 1% uptake of sparc64 and alpha ports and 0% for
> FreeBSD/PPC. Maybe we should can some of these platform ports, how
> much overhead do they add to the project?

Woah! It's way, way too soon to start making any decisions based on the
bsdstats site.  There's less than a thousand machines reporting stats
so far -- that's a very small fraction of the FreeBSD total machines
around the world.  As it is a single small company or user with half=20
a dozen machines submitting their data could have a radical effect on
the ordering of many of the tables available on the site.

The BSD Stats site is going to need some serious popularization before
it provides a statistically significant sample.  It would probably take
getting the 300.bsdstats periodic job incorporated into the base
system and having a 'please register your system' option fairly
prominently displayed in the installer for several releases to make it
really effective.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20