Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:57:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: got 5 stray irq 7's: not logging anymore?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, J Wunsch wrote:

> As J Wunsch wrote:
>
> > Apr 22 23:39:08 uriah /boot/kernel/kernel: stray irq 7

The printer driver bogusly sets up its interrupt for every write(2).
Apparently there are some races in this.

> Even stranger, here's part of "systat -vm":
>
>  Interrupts
>   418 total
>       stray irq0
>       stray irq6
>       stray irq7
>       vx0 irq9
>   117 sym0 irq12
>       sym1 irq10
>       atkbd0 irq
>     1 fdc0 irq6
>    72 isic0 irq1
>       sio0 irq4
>       sio1 irq3
>   100 clk irq0
>   128 rtc irq8
>      elpt0 irq7
>
> Note that IRQs 0, 6, and 7 are listed twice, once as `stray', and once
> belonging to their actual devices.
>
> This is -current as of approximately April 1.

I get strays for 0, 6 and 7 consistently on 2 machines here.  I also get
a stray irq15 on a machine that actually uses irq15 (for ata1).

I think these are caused by the same races at boot time.  They mess up the
systat display.

Bruce