Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:11:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   further debugging woes

Well, I thought when I got some sort of dirbad panic just now during a
pwd=/usr/src make clean I'd get to finally give a proper panic report.
No such luck. First came "syncing disks" which ended with 1 1 1 1 and
gave up.  Then when the kernel tried to dump, it hung after "dump" and
eventually gave up with an "I/O error" of some sort.  Then when I
pressed a key to forestall a reboot so I could write some of this down,
the machine rebooted anyway.

The automatic fsck failed with an unexpected softupdates inconsistency.
I ran fsck manually, and then, as an experiment, ran it again.  The
second time, it found a link count of -11 that should have been 2 that
it missed during the first manual run!

Just for kicks: soft updates, latest source, BT-948, two SCSI disks, one
processor, a.out, no special patches running.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."