Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 20:02:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gnats database

On Sat, 6 May 2000, R Joseph Wright wrote:

# I just browsed through the PR database for the ports category.  It looks
# like very few of the submissions within the last year or so have been
# resolved; most are in an open state.

Being one of the people who has committed a couple of them myself
and also being the GNATS administrator I can say that this is
not quite true.  This time last year we had ~1000 less ports than
we do today.  If you consider (and this is probably way low) that
500 of those ports came from PRs and consider that there are 390
open ports PRs right now and not all of those are for new ports,
then one can only conclude that 'more' of the new port submissions
in the last year have been committed than not.

# When submitting a new port, does one need to send in many follow ups in
# order to be noticed?

No, not necessarily.  It does help sometimes help to jog our memories
but the GNATS database is ever-present.  The number one reason why
you see more new port submissions in the PR database than other
ports-related requests is because they take more effort to commit.
Oftentimes they take a considerable amount of massaging before they
can be committed.  A two-line, two-file change to update to a new
version submitted by a port's maintainer is *much* easier.

Don't fret.  Someone will get to them, it just takes a little while
sometimes before someone (who does it just for fun) finds the time
and energy to actually do the deed.  We aren't deliberately ignoring
them and we do value the effort spent in doing the initial port and
submitting a problem report.  However, most of us have lives outside
of FreeBSD that requires us to do things like cook dinner for, watch,
play with, and otherwise entertain a gaggle of kids while our wives
are off having fun.  Oops there's the doorbell.  Two of my nieces
and one nephew are here to eat, play, and spend the night.  Off I
go. :-)

-steve

PS: For anyone who's counting I have three daughters of my own,
    so I get to enjoy an evening/night with 6 kids.