Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:04:55 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Grigory Kljuchnikov <grn@ispras.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: errno (46) - for FreeBSD 4.0 NFS server

Thierry, thank you for the information,
but it's very bad that there isn't NFS locking in FreeBSD.
I'm afraid I need to move my FreeBSD NFS server to Solaris
for x86.

I don't understand why NFS locking isn't in FreeBSD.
Is it difficult in the implementation or are there another
global problems in the kernel (or in the native filesystem)?

Who know when the NFS locking is planed to release in FreeBSD?

Grigory.

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There is presently *NO* NFS locking in FreeBSD (for all versions).
> There will be some NFS locking in the near future - stay tuned.
>
>      TfH
>
> Grigory Kljuchnikov <grn@ispras.ru> on 21/03/2000 17:16:08
>
> Hello!
>
> I have a FreeBSD 4.0 NFS server and get an error message
> (No record locks available - errno (46)) when a HP-UX 10.20
> client run some compilation process (with make) on the NFS-mounted
> file system that is reside on that FreeBSD 4.0 NFS server.
> This error appear on the HP-UX 10.20 NFS-client host.
> If I use Solaris 2.6 NFS server in same circumstance I don't
> have that error.
>
> What is wrong?
> or
> What are the kernel parameters I need to change on FreeBSD?

Grigory Kljuchnikov
Institute for System Programming Russian Academy of Sciences,
109004, Moscow, Russia, B.Kommunistitcheskay, 25,
  phone(work):   +7-095-9125659
  fax:           +7-095-9121524
  e-mail:        <grn@ispras.ru>