Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2003 17:59:27 -0700
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Erik Paulsen Skaalerud <erik@pentadon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Non-Executable Stack Patch

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003, Erik Paulsen Skaalerud wrote:
> [...]

The original StackGuard implementation had massive overhead:
several orders of magnitude for common programs.  It looks like
the fellows at IBM have managed to do significantly better:

	http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/node5.html

I personally am not particularly interested in a fix that makes
buffer overflows harder to exploit, given that buffer overflows
constitute a problem that can be completely solved without the
same performance loss by switching to a safer language.
Nevertheless, there's enough useful C code out there that this
could be useful.  It would be cool to have as an optional part of
FreeBSD, assuming we wouldn't have to maintain massive diffs
against gcc or something.  (gcc uses this by default now, right?)