Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 05:50:09 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL alternatives

At 08:55 21-05-1999 +0200, Marius Bendiksen wrote:
>> The copyright law does give the author the right to give up all his rights.
>> Many an author has to ask his publisher for the permission to have his own
>> work published somewhere else.
>
>Norwegian copyright law does not permit you to do this, therefore any
>licence which specifically resigns all rights is void in Norway, I
>would suspect.

Interesting. Would be nice if that were the case in the US. But here,
anything is for sale, including author's rights, and traditionally
publishers have tried to get as many of them as they can get from authors.

And since there are many more authors than publishers, authors (especially
new ones) are generally afraid to say no out of fear that the publisher
will call off the whole deal.

 This law is, to the best of my knowledge, based on the
>Berne Convention, which has been signed by many countries around the
>world.

The US has signed it, too. So, the convention probably did not ban such
practice. It is the law of your country that does.

Adam
---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.20 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/