Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:56:29 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current NFS problem

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 02:00:28PM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:
> > I use NFS.  I'd really like to see it fixed.
>
> Gee. I see history about to repeat itself. Exit stateless filesystems left
> and enter 'the Newcastle connection' stage right. Then we can argue about
> who invented the acronym DFS and why RFS failed.
[and why NFS is impossible]

I don't think the issue here is really whether fixing all of NFS is an
intractable problem.  The fact is that you can take certain other
unixes and use their NFS implementations happily, whereas adding
FreeBSD to the mix results in unhappiness.  Whether this is because of
actual bugs in the FreeBSD code, or whether it is fairy dust and
workarounds by the other guys, it implies that it should be possible
to make FreeBSD at least as reliable as, say, Solaris in the area of
NFS(v3).

I personally only use NFS occasionally, and almost exclusively
FreeBSD-FreeBSD, and then almost always just to do a "make reinstall"
somewhere, so I can't say I was even aware that we had NFS problems.
But if there are people who are working on it, I don't think they
should be encouraged to drop it because there are better network
filesystem solutions... NFS is still the thing you're most likely to
find supported elsewhere, and it can be the very lack of legacy
compatability that hinders a system's widespread adoption.

That said, I happen to have Coda on my workstation and laptop, and I
certainly hope to reap the benefits of its continued development.
--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations  S   NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net   SSS  http://www.netmonger.net