Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:26:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ian Kallen <spidaman@arachna.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: accessing an outside IP from inside a NAT net

Since I hate finding unanswered questions in the archive, I'm posting the
resolution.  The previous answers that suggested subnetting the internal
network and setting up additional port diversions for the webserver in the
firewall rules didn't do it, certainly not in combination.  However,
setting up another port diversion for natd on the internal network did the
trick.  The external net NIC is using the ed driver, the internal ep, so
the firewall rules now simply have

# wipe the slate
/sbin/ipfw -f flush
# outside net
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ed0
# inside net, this is what needed to be added
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ep0
# whatever other specific packet processing rules...
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

I had to poke around at natd and ipfw a whole lot to arrive at this
conclusion, IMO the additional rule for the internal net should be in the
example rc.firewall and/or in the /usr/share/examples/etc examples.
cheers,
-Ian

--
Ian Kallen <spidaman@arachna.com> | AIM: iankallen | efax: (415) 354-3326