Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:21:44 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        W Gerald Hicks <gehicks@cisco.com>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Kal Torak <kaltorak@iname.com>
Subject:   Re: Ports updating... Good ways?

--==_Exmh_417760173P

If memory serves me right, W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> (Hi Bruce :-)

Hi Jerry!  :-)

> In thinking about this further, it seems to me there is also some
> missing metadata that one would need to automate port upgrades reliably.
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything that relates previous versions of a
> port to an updated one.  At least not in a rigorous manner that could be
> trusted by naive scripts...

Recently-installed ports (recently-built packages maybe) contain
meta-data that says where their port skeleton directory lives within the
ports tree.  pkg_info and pkg_version both use this data.  For example:

bmah-freebsd-0:bmah% grep ORIGIN /var/db/pkg/gnupg-1.0.4_3/+CONTENTS
@comment ORIGIN:security/gnupg
bmah-freebsd-0:bmah% pkg_info -q -o gnupg-1.0.4_3
security/gnupg
bmah-freebsd-0:bmah% pkg_version -v | grep gnupg
gnupg-1.0.4_3               =   up-to-date with port

I am not sure if any of the (three?) proposed ports/package upgrading
tools use this field or not.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_417760173P

--==_Exmh_417760173P--