Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 21:00:35 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        cofer@www.cas.unt.edu (Christopher D. Cofer)
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Stable on 386/33 No Boot Prompt.

Christopher D. Cofer stands accused of saying:

> I found the problem.  I removed the SIIG controller and replaced it with
> a simple IDE controller.  It worked fine.  Is the on board BIOS on
> controllers not supported under FBSD?

It's not a question of FreeBSD not "supporting" these controllers; the
problem is that the onboard BIOSses don't behave properly, and thus
the FreeBSD bootloader fails.

Because very few people have the time or inclination to patch
perfectly correct and functional software to work with inferior,
broken hardware, these sort of things don't get "fixed".