Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:17:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        bts@babbleon.org
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware networking

In local.freebsd.emulation you write:

>I'm trying to get networking going with vmware under FreeBSD.

>I was going to set up host-only networking and use NATD to get to the
>Great Wide World under vmware.  This is kinda lucky since host-only is
>apparently the only sort of networking that vmware supports under
>FreeBSD.

Last time I installed vmware, one had to have bridging support in the
kernel, configure vmware for "host-only" networking, and then it Just
Worked(tm) - full network access from vmware after giving the guest OS
an IP address on the same subnet as the host OS. You can even use DHCP.

The port has since been changed to use netgraph to do the bridging,
which I assume should work without building a new kernel.  So, it
should work out-of-the box, without nat.

Since the port mucks about with kernel modules, a virtual network
interface and whatnot, you may want to reboot.

   $.02,
   /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com