Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 06:16:09 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: GPL alternatives

At 10:18 21-05-1999 +0100, paul@originative.co.uk wrote:
>There is also the situation where you sign over the copyright. This is a
>very different thing which transfers ownership of your work. Most publishers
>require authors to sign over the copyright to them which is why the author
>requires the publishers permission to publish elsewhere.

That's what I said. You can assign your rights to someone else.

>There's no hidden clause in the GPL that hands over ownership to the FSF,
>you're just being paranoid.

Nope, not paranoid. It's the lawyer in me talking. I said it *could* be
interpreted certain way. I also said such an interpretation was not likely
to prevail in court, but you never know.

The fact that Perl and other software is licensed under both GPL and a
different license is irrelevant from legal standpoint. Perl is not a court
of law.

AFAIK, GPL has never been contested in a court of law. Therefore, if
someone sued Larry Wall for the double licensing, we simply cannot know how
it would turn out.

I am simply talking about POSSIBILITIES. I always used the verb *can* to
make that clear.

Anyway, this discussion has gone much farther than I care for. I am not
trying to fight a war, nor am I trying to convince anyone of anything. I
simply stated an interesting possible loophole, and am tired of explaining
what I said to people who read into my words more than they said.

I could not care less what license anyone chooses. I expressed an opinion
that GPL was not the best choice. I said it was dangerous. I meant
dangerous to the author, not to the rest of us. I disagree with Brett's
contention that GPL is going to destroy us all. I just think it will hurt
those who use it in the long run. But if they want to use it, that's their
choice.

>If you don't want people selling your software then you need to release it
>under a much more restrictive license than either the GPL or BSD license.

Obviously.

For small programs I use BSD license. For a major project, like my Graphic
Counter Language, I do not. In previous releases I simply stated my
copyright in it. For the current release I wrote my own license given that
none of the existing open-source licenses was satisfactory to what I wanted.

I spent all of last night writing that license (333 lines), and am finally
ready to go to bed at 6:15 am. :-) If anyone cares to read it, I posted it
at http://www.whizkidtech.net/nnl/ where the nnl stands for No-Nonsense
License.

Adam
---