Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 09:16:15 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.1.5 Failure

 Well I "upgraded" my machine last night here at work and had LOTS of
 problems. Here is the list:

  1) the upgrade said it was gonna copy the old files into
  /scratch/etc ( where I wanted them ) but after it finished, I found
  that the only files there were the new ones :-(. Good thing I did
  not trust the installtion and stored them elsewhere.

  2) Big Problem with the ep driver. I have been running this system
  solidly for some time now. After the upgrade, whenever I am using
  the epdriver, the number of socknames and headers and data steadily
  increases until all network traffic ceases on the device and finally
  I start to get errors like this:

  ping: wrote gw.hq.ferg.com 64 chars, ret=-1
  ping: sendto: No buffer space available

  If I:

  ifconfig ep0 down ; wait 60 ; ifconfig ep0 up

  I get about a minute of pings and then the buffers fill up again.
  To get this information, I used the systat program to see what was
  available. My configuration is:

  HP Vectra XM series with an adaptec 2740, a 3c509 and generic sound
  card. P120 with 32 megs of memory.

  3) mountd hangs at startup. I did a ktrace of mountd and it seems to
  hang right as it reads resolv.conf. I read in todays mail about the
  issue of having non locally resolvable hostnames in /etc/resolv.conf
  ( Ie. ones normally resolved over the network ) and I will add them
  to the /etc/hosts file and fix /etc/hosts.conf to check that first
  and see if that solves the problem.

  I am rather frustrated and I have to have this machine working, so I
  am downgrading back to 2.1 until this issue is resolved. If anyone
  has any idears or suggestions, let me know.

   -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?