Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 96 22:03:22 -0500
From:      Patrick <pwalton@alice.math.tamu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Installation difficulties with ATAPI CD-ROM drive !!

NOTE: Send reply to Jay_Walton@msn.com

	I am using the FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE CD-ROM. Since we have
an NEC IDE ATAPI CD-ROM that is not FreeBSD compatible, I copied the
distributions to my hard disk. Now there are two error messages
that I am seeing:

	1. Somewhere in the extraction of every distribution: I see
the message:

	"Write faliure on transfer! (wrote -1 of 1024 bytes)"

	2. At the end of the installation, I see the message:

	"Can't find a kernel image to link to the root file system!
You're going to have a hard time getting this system to boot from
the hard disk, I'm afraid!"

	When I try and boot FreeBSD after the failed installation,
it just keeps saying "Can't find /kernel".

	Is there anything I can do and still keep our NEC IDE
CD-ROM drive?