Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:32:36 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>
To:        "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions about kernel programming

* Eugene L. Vorokov <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru> [010713 10:24] wrote:
> > 		ch = fubyte(uaddr);
>
> And one more question, does this mean that I can't use things x = *uaddr
> and *uaddr = x for userspace, but always have to use fubyte() and subyte () ?
> If so, what is the reason it was done like that ?

Intel has an extention for i386 (FreeBSD doesn't currently use it), but
it allows for something like 36bits of address space, the only problem
is that you're limited to a 32bit window into the 36 bit address space.

So basically, your kernel and your userland application are probably
going to have different memory location, in fact the userland addresses
may not even be available to the kernel without using special address
registers.

This is why you need these function, to do data transfer to/from
alternate address spaces.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Ok, who wrote this damn function called '??'?