Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:48:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Assembling new machine

Okay, I'll be starting to assemble a new (low-volume server) machine "soon."
(This will be to replace the poor, outdated machine that kithrup is. :()

The parts I've pretty much settled on:

	ASUS P55T2P4N motherboard
	SC-200 SCSI card
	DEC-based ethernet (Kingston KNE40BT was recommended)

The parts I haven't decided on:

	CPU (P-133, K6-166, K6-200?)
	RAM (32 or 64MBytes, haven't decided which yet)
	disks

(I'll scavange the CD-ROM drive from kithrup, which doesn't use it much.
I'll get a cheap VGA/SVGA video card, and I'll use the keyboard and monitor
from kithrup as well.  Floppy drive doesn't matter.)

For the disks... I'm not sure what to do.  I don't need a *lot* of space --
so I'm thinking 2GBytes or so.  I got a recommendation for the Seagate
ST32171N, which I haven't found but did see a ST32272N which appears to
be an ultra version of that.  And, of course, several people have
recommended an IBM drive whose name and part number I forget :).

Someone else recommended the Quantum Atlas II series; Fry's (local computer
supermarket) has a Quantum Atlas II 2.2Gbyte fast wide drive for $265.  But
the low price concerns me.

I'd also consider, I think, getting an EIDE drive (1-2GBytes) for root and
usr, and using the SCSI drive for /var/users and /usr/src.  (I will be
using, incidently, a 1GByte Fujitsu drive for my news disk -- this
particular drive is currently in use in kithrup for just that purpose.)

My requirements for disk drives are:  affordable, reliable, reasonably fast
and large.

I also don't know whether the SCSI drives should be internal or external.
External adds a fair bit of cost, but then I don't need to worry as much
about power-supply problems.  But, then, I won't be having a huge amount of
drives -- I don't expect to have many more than what I've stated so far, not
for a while at least.

So... comments?  Recommendations?  Warnings? :)