Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 18:23:55 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        feanaro@free.fr, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on an extended partition

Sorry, no-can-do.  Major weakness of FreeBSD, no doubt about that.

With this setup:

|hdb1            <- These are primary partitions
|hdb2            <-
|hdb3            <- This is the extended one
|   | hdb5
|   | hdb6
|   | hdb7
|   | hdb8       <- I want to install FreeBSD here.
|   | hdb9
|   | hdb10

The best you can do is (provided that hbd9 and hbd10 contain ext2 or DOS
partitions) is to get PartitionMagic, backup up your disk, and then
delete hdb8, move hdb9 and hdb10 down to replace them, shrink the
extended partition, and put FreeBSD on what you (and Linux) would call
hdb4, and FreeBSD would call ad1s4.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org