Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 21:53:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Allan <kosmos@vi.dyn.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports want to reinstall perl

Hello,

I'm experiencing difficuties with Perl-dependent ports.

When I try to download a port that has Perl as a dependency, the make
process fails to recognize Perl is on the system, so tries to install it.
It fails, because it discovers it's already installed. Then it tells
me to uninstall it, then reinstall. But as it turns out, this fails too.
I have tried twice uninstalling and reinstalling, and installing over the
current installation. No change.

Perl 5.004_04 is on the system, in /usr/bin, and there is a symlink
to it in /usr/local/bin. Perl works fine. Modules work fine, if I
manually download them.

I CVSUP the ports collection from the RELENG_2_2 branch about every
week. I am running FreeBSD-2.2.5.

I don't think reinstalling is the answer here. This is behaving like a
database problem. Is there a file I can edit to persuade the ports
installation process that Perl is installed?

Thanks for your input...

kosmos@kosmos$ cd p5-Penguin
kosmos@kosmos$ sudo make install
Password:
>> Checksum OK for Penguin-3.00.tar.gz.
===>  Extracting for p5-Penguin-3.00
===>  p5-Penguin-3.00 depends on executable: perl5.00401 - not found
===>  Verifying install for perl5.00401 in /usr/ports/lang/perl5
>> Checksum OK for perl5.004_04.tar.gz.
===>  Installing for perl-5.00404
===>  perl-5.00404 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
      If so, you may wish to ``pkg_delete perl-5.00404'' and install
      this port again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of perl-5.00404
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.