Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 06:10:44 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Adam Steffes <asteffes@ucdavis.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp problems under 4.0-S

At 04:10 AM 4/5/00 +0100, J McKitrick wrote:
>It never hurts to run mergemaster, especially after a big upgrade, when it
>might be important.  It's possible some networking option isn't being
>controlled correctly, who knows.  Just a thought.  But if you installed 4.0
>clean, i can't imagine mergemaster making a big difference.  Try to cvsup
>again tonight.  I just did, and i saw changes in ppp.

Sometimes it is worth while to run *before* building.  Recent additions to
make.conf are a good, recent example.  Along the same line is updating
files in etc via mm and not rebuilding the rest of the system.  Recent
changes in pccard.conf.sample as an example.  Can they make a difference, yes.

Certainly if you are not sure what needs updating, then by all means build,
install, merge, and remake devices every time,but don't forget about ports
either.  When libs change (libc_r on 3/22), it is a real good idea to
rebuild everything including ports just in case.  MySQL uses libc_r and I'd
just built it too. 8-/

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve