Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:18:53 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Julien Pham <jpham@mis.mc>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do u think of this ?

On Tue 2001-01-23 (09:43), Julien Pham wrote:
> Here is an answer I got... What do u think of it ?

Strictly, you aren't supposed to send private mail you receive to
mailing lists.  However, since it is here, I might as well comment.

[ quotes now from Mr. Calahan(sp?) ]

> > First, what are the differences between the two OS ? Someone told
> > me FreeBSD is real Unix, and Linux has nothing to do with Unix.
> > But what does this means ? About compatibility for example ?
>
> That is pure arrogance.
>
> Long ago, BSD contained a few bits of real UNIX source code.
> This was removed to settle a lawsuit. So now there isn't any
> real UNIX source code, but some people have feelings about
> the "heritage" and "tradition" of it all.

There is a strong feeling of tradition and heritage within BSD.  That
heritage is almost specifically for BSD Unix, which was based on, and
shared some code (in both directions) with, the original Unix.

That the owner of the UNIX trademark wishes to discount the BSD Unix
tradition doesn't affect the pride we have for the BSD tradition.

> > I have thought that unix software can run under linux.
> > Can I find all kind of apps I can find on linux, on FreeBSD ?
> > Such as office tools (such as staroffice), network and internet
> > tools, and games ?
>
> Linux apps are now more common than UNIX apps, and far more common
> than FreeBSD apps. Anything you really need?

I wouldn't believe that statement without sufficient proof.  There are
many commercial application packages available for (e.g.) Solaris that
aren't available for Linux, so it may beat it on commercial
applications.  The free "Linux" applications generally work on multiple
platforms, and often aren't developed on Linux.

The FreeBSD ports collection has over 4500 applications, covering almost
anything you could possibly think of in open source software, and
providing an installation method for some non-open source software.  It
is growing at an impressive rate, and is possibly the largest collection
of packages available for an operating system (Debian may challenge it,
but only claims to have 3950 packages on their web page.  They do have
more, but I don't have statistics on it).

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org