Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 17:33:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        ian wynne <ianw@angel.comcen.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

Does it work if you connect manually? I mean enter all the commands in
your ppp.conf at the ppp ON setsuko> prompt. also, when you get the HDLC
error thingo what else happens? i get them occasionally but just ignore
them (so far haven't noticed anything - please tell me anyone if i'm
missing something!).

does ppp ON setsuko change to PPP ON setsuko? this means you've got
through.

also i think with pap you need a couple of lines as follows
set authname username
set authkey password

you know like put your username and password in there where it says
username and password (this isn't meant to sound sarcastic, it's just in
case! I work in tech support, it's amazing the amount of times you get
people who actually type space instead of pressing the wide plastic
thing on the keyoard, also last week we had someone who said that the
mouse went right instead of left and up instead of down - you gotta
laugh but not at them!!).

also i've had another idea: is your modem on com1 or com2? if it's on
com2 you need a set device /dev/cuaa1  in there as well (/dev/cuaa0 for
com1) i accidently tried to connect once while connected to the mouse
(com1) and got connected and login ok!

anyway i hope this helps, if you've got any further questions make sure
you send them to questions@freebsd.org

andrew perry
andrew@shoal.net.au