Date:        Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:57:41 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Tim <tms@psiklone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading 3.4 to 4.0

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 12:49:50AM -0500, Tim wrote:
> I printed and read the UPDATING as suggested. I used it as a checklist, but ran
> into a problem. I got an error whild at the step that says config
> YOUR_KERNEL_HERE. The error is  /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found
> I'd like to know what to do from here. I am new to FreeBSD,  and Unix in
> general.

Give the command
  ldconfig -R /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc
and then try again.
This will make FreeBSD look for shared libraries in that directory too so
that it can find the newly built version of libc.so which the 4.x version of
config needs.
(Oh, and if you are new to both FreeBSD and Unix I wouldn't recommend trying
to do the update from 3.4 to 4.0 with source. There are a few things
(like this one) that can go wrong.)