Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 03:09:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Erik H. Bakke" <erik@habatech.no>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange problem with ATA on my 164SX

On 29-Oct-99 Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> Just a WAG: Try putting a DELAY(1000) at the top of ad_transfer.
> There are some timing issues I've seen w/addump that might be biting
> you.
I gave it a try, but sad to say, it did not remedy the situation.

> I have NFC why a graphics card would matter though.

It seems my system is quite intent on driving me crazy these days :)
Maybe the removal of the graphics card freed up some PCI bus cycles, which
again led to some timing problem?

But then, it could have something to do with the SRM firmware not doing the
Right Thing without the graphics card.
I will try upgrading the SRM during the weekend.

As a sidenote.  When fooling around with a reinstall of a fairly recent
snapshot, I got loads of Signal 12's.  Init would terminate with the signal.
This again, would only happen when I included the ATA drivers in the kernel.

But, I have to agree with you.  It is very hard to see how the absence of a
graphics card would cause the problem.  Introduction of a new card would have
been a much more likely source of problems.

Anyway, the problem goes away when the card is reinserted, so it is not a big
deal, but it could be a symptom of something wrong that only surfaces under
certain conditions.

Thanks for the help, anyway.