Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 08:38:54 -0500
From:      Andy Angrick <angrick@netdirect.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache Stress testing

Does anyone know if there is a program available to stress test an apache
webserver. Pound it with requests to see how much it can handle and how much
of a toll it takes on the server? If there isn't anything like this
available, maybe it would be worth considering developing if anyone would be
interested in it also. It could be set up so that there are maybe 10 html
pages to choose randomly, then fork a bunch of processes to randomly
retrieve these pages. Could be configured as to how many processes to spawn,
length of test, etc. I could write it, but I would probably need some help.

I think this would be very beneficial. It seems like a lot of us are just in
the dark as to how much our servers can really handle. If you ever ask
someone how many hits or vhosts a server can handle, there is never a
definite answer. Too many variables involved.

Andy Angrick
Host Resource, Inc.