Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 02:29:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      a disembodied voice emerging from the chaos of reality <cjc26@cornell.edu>
To:        Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
Cc:        Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi(1) is for whimps

Actually, I was once in a situation where I needed to edit /etc/passwd
(because some idiot trashed it and no one could log in as root), but
/bin was on a different partition which I couldn't mount for some reason
from single-user mode (I don't know, I didn't set up this machine), thus
making it impossible to run vi or even ed.  So I ended up doing

echo root:*:0:0:admin:/root:/bin/csh >/etc/passwd
echo daemon:*:1:1:daemon:/root:/sbin/nologin >>/etc/passwd

etc. until I was done :)

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Chris Costello wrote:

| On Tue, Jun 22, 1999, Jesus Monroy wrote:
| > vi(1) is for whimps
| > http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/1986/viforwhimps.html
|
|    Well, you should've posted that to -chat...
|
|    Second, there are other things people use vi for.  You can't
| add a sentence to a paragraph with cat as easily as you could
| with vi, such as:
|
|    So as I headed to the bakery to get some new bread, I decided
| to stop at the newspaper stand and pick up the sunday paper.
|
|    So as I headed to the bakery to get some new, delicious white
| bread, I decided to stop at the newspaper stand to pick up the
| Sunday edition of the Houston Chronicle.
|
|    vi is for people who want to get things done the right way
| with a standard tool that is meant for editing files.
|
|    If you want to be pedantic, you shouldn't use 'cat' at all for
| editing files!  cat is meant to catenate two or more files to
| stdout.
|
|    Try ed.
|
|    (Although, if taken properly, the page is a good laugh)

Cliff Crawford   http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
-><-            i   l i k e   o a t m e a l             )O(