Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Harrenstien <klh@transmeta.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/30218: OpenSSH package requires OpenSSL which can't be done.  Port links bad, too.

>Number:         30218
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       OpenSSH package requires OpenSSL which can't be done.  Port links bad, too.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Wanted to upgrade to the current OpenSSH.  Got the current package
(OpenSSH-2.9_3.tgz); there is a "package" link for the 4.2-Release
port, but it is broken -- it looks for 2.9_3 but it's not there. Looking
at the FTP server shows a OpenSSH-2.2.0.tgz.  Generally where security
is concerned, more recent versions are better, so I pulled over 2.9_3
from the packages-4-stable directory (stable is better than release,
right?).

Unfortunately, although the ports entry lists no requirements, in
fact it does require a libcrypto.so.2 to run.  Newsgroup search turned
up a comment that this library comes from OpenSSL; this is listed in
the ports collection but has no package (at least for 4.2; for 5.0
a package link is provided, but it is broken -- no such package exists!)
Tracked the sources link to fetch the original openssl distribution
(openssl-0.9.6b) and built it with the "shared" option.  But it only
produces a libcrypto.so.0.9.6 -- not .so.2.

Further newsgroup search turned up an "answer" from a Kris Kennaway that
said "Use the version of OpenSSL standard in FreeBSD".  I found this
completely unhelpful -- if the right version were there, we won't
have this problem to begin with!!  4.2-RELEASE has libcrypto.so.1
but not .so.2.

If there's a way to extricate just libcrypto.so.2 from the canned
FreeBSD releases I don't know what it is, nor do I have any idea whether
it would work with my 4.2 system.

At this point I've quit.  I'm filing a PR in the hope that my frustration
can at least result in others not going through the same thing.

(by the way, the ports collection web page still shows 3.5 as a search
option, but the package link for OpenSSH does not exist.  In general
it doesn't seem as if there is any cross-checking done on what the
ports collection thinks is available and what is actually on the server)