Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:30:01 +0200
From:      Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick.bihan-faou@teambox.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 10.0 interaction with vmware

Hi,

 From what I understand of the VMWare tools is that it adds a kernel
module that comunicates with the host. When the host is under memory
pressure it claims some of the memory used by each VM by asking the
kernel module to grab RAM. This active  RAM is "reserved" by the kernel
module and can then be used by the host for another VM.

This mechanism will increase the memory pressure inside your VM, which
can lead to some swapping or freeing of otherwise less used memory pages
in the OS.

This cooperative mode of sharing the memory pressure experienced by the
hypervisor is called "ballooning" in VMWare terms. The kernel module
responsible to implement the VM side of this si called vmmemctl.ko.

If the memory requirements cannot be met using this "ballooning"
technique (or if none of the VM have the vmware tools enabled), you will
start to see swapping at the host level, which will be much worse than
swapping at the VM level.

This is the main reason why you should run the vmware tools.

Regards,

Patrick.