Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:18:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu, wolstena@sfu.ca
Cc:        alex@muse.org.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving passwd files from LINUX to FreeBSD

>  I wanted to do a quick and
>  dirty change to the home directory path but I can't figure out how to add
>  a "/" to the replacement string using sed.  I wanted to make a global
>  change to the home directory location -- /Users --> /home/edwina
>
>  I tried:
>
>  sed s/Users/home\/edwina/g passwd.file > passwd.new

close add the single quote to the substitute command:

sed 's/Users/home\/edwina/g' passwd.file > passwd.new

you can do this substitution in 'vipw' with vi as the EDITOR, and it
will save you the pwd_mkdb step. (ie:

# setenv EDITOR /usr/bin/vi	# or export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi for sh/bash
# vipw
:G
:1,.s/User/home\/edwina/g
:wq