Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 20:45:10 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VFATFS Status

> We tried the Luoqi patch on ftp.freebsd.org for vfatfs, and the following
> missive from my test subject is the result.  These aren't the same as the
> ones in -current.  Our results are included below.  (There is probably
> something else up with the ZIP drive, but I surmise we should be able to
> read the Win95 partition.  I wasn't present for this experiment so I can't
> say exactly what transpired.)

Thanks for testing this; the datapoints are invaluable.

> I know Jordan is looking for results on this, maybe in part as a candidate
> for -STABLE.  If I can find a version of these that apply to -STABLE, I'm
> willing to give it a try.  If I grab the -CURRENT msdosfs, is there any
> hope I can get it to compile in -STABLE?  We can give it a try here...

I don't think that'd be trivial; you're welcome, but I suspect that the
patches wouldn't apply, let alone work usefully.

Now, to your test victim:

> No joy. I made the patch, it didn't complain. I re-made the kernel, no
> complaints that I noticed and it boots OK (also changed some kernel
> options, mostly removing a few obvious things like CPU386). But if
> I try to mount wd0 or wd3 (where I deduce the Zip drive is), I get
> invalid arg messages except occassionally I get hard read errors on the
> Zip and the light goes on the drive.

It would help to know which mount commands were used here.  Still, it's
not surprising that trying to mount a FAT filesystem with the ufs
mounter doesn't work. 8)

> Without the -t msdos, it kicks
> me off with a different error (bad zero block or somesuch, I can jot
> these down if it would be useful).

It would indeed be helpful.  Again, knowing the exact commands that
were used would help too.  Note that it's nontrivial to actually get a
FAT32 partition onto a Zip disk, and quite often even Win95 OSR2
preinstalled systems have FAT16 filesystems (eg. my laptop came that
way).  If your tester is willing to try a few more things, and they
definitely have a FAT32-capable system, have them get in touch with me
and I can talk you through the process.

It's very easy to tell if you have a FAT32-capable system; open a DOS
window and run 'fdisk'.  If it puts up a screen talking about "large
filesystem support" and asks you if you want it, then you do.
Otherwise you don't.

(Amusing note; if you say 'yes', create a FAT32 filesystem, and then go
to the "show information" screen, you will notice that it doesn't
actually know what the filesystem you've created *is*.)

Again, thanks for helping us with this.