Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 05:00:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: limiting the amount of per user in /var/mail

Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM> types:
> Hello,
> Can someone plz point me in the right direction of how to implement a size
> in MB for any user on a system, that can stop incoming mail until the
> user has downloaded thier mail.
>
> One person told me procmail. Having gone to www.procmail.org I cannot see
> where it talks about size of mail boxes.

I got questions - have you got answers?

What do you mean by "stop incoming mail"? The options are 1) that it
stays on your system, but is kept in the mail queue until either
timeout or they drop below the limit; 2) that it is refused as a soft
error, meaning it stays on the *other* ISPs system until either
timeout or they drop below the limit; 3) or that it is refused as a
hard error, meaning it's bounced immediately back to the user.

To use procmail for this, you need to configure your sendmail so that
local deliver is done by procmail, and arrange to have procmail run a
command that reports whether or not their mailbox is over limit. It's
been years since I used procmail or sendmail, so I'm going to defer to
others.

A much simpler idea - if their mailboxes are stored on a different
file system from anything else they are liable to own - is to use disk
space quotas.  This will make the writes to their mailbox (or possibly
the queue) fail, which will report as either a hard or soft error,
depending on your MTA. Try "man -k quota" to get started.

	<mike