Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:28:29 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 RELEASE amd64 how to install on single drive with encrypted ZFS root?

--RcRQV5J7H1ubFAKBErWNEcVQ6CVPUEEdg

On 03/07/14 08:10, David Christensen wrote:
> The FreeBSD manual covers 9 and the wiki "Root on ZFS" article covers 8=
=2E
>=20
> STFW I've found several things for 9, but no direct hits for 10 with
> encrypted ZFS root.  (There is a Flash video that might cover it, but I=

> don't do Adobe.)

The 10.0 installer does ZFS natively, which is why you can't find any
instructions on how to set up ZFS manually on that platform.

However, to set up an encrypted root, you'll need to set up the
encrypted partition with geli and then set up your ZFSes on top of that.
Which is basically a manual job.

You can follow the instructions here:

   https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE

except that after item (7) -- gnop -- you'll need to insert creating
your encrypted partitions and then modify the subsequent bits to refer
to the /dev/gpt/foo.eli devices you create.  As far as ZFS goes, the
sequence is essentially the same for 9.0 as for 10.0 except that
wherever it says to use lzjb, you should substitute lz4.

	Cheers,

	Matthew