Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 18:09:18 +0200
From:      Albert Visagie <avisagie@dsp.sun.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-release Rebooting more often than W*?

Hi all!

I've just installed FreeBSD 4.0 Release,  and the box has been rebooting
at least once every two hours or so.  It isn't doing anything, or
running any strange daemons that wasn't there after the install, and it
does this regardless of whether or any users (me) are logged in or
anything.  I couldn't work out how to get hold of the panic message
thingie, but it looks a lot like some on the mailing list archives, eg.:

     fatal trap 12  page fault while in kernel mode
     fault virtual address 0x0
     fault code    =supervisor read, page not present
     instruction pointer 0x8:0xf01a5b26
     stack pointer       0x10:0xefbffe34
     frame pointer       0x10:0xefbffe80
     code segment        base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, gran 1
     processor flags     interrupt enabled, resume IOPL=0
     current process     321 (pkg_add)
     interrupt mask      ufs
     panic page fault

I've done some browsing through the mailing list archives, and
\emph{many} have had this problem.  The link down here is the only
definitive answer I managed to find.

 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=13516+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/1996/freebsd-questions/19960526.freebsd-questions

I'll do as it says, but does anyone have any other ideas?  this was a
really disappointing start to a new toy.

Thanks in advance!

Albert Visagie

--
http://www.espresso.ee.sun.ac.za/~avisagie

"What men are poets, who could speak if Jupiter where like a man, but if
he were an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be
silent?" - Richard Feynman