Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 12:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@bubba.tribe.com>
To:        mcs@vpm.com (Mark Stout)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ix0 not found

> I have an Intel 16-bit EtherExpress NIC that was at IRQ10/0x300 that seemed
> to have a conflict with mcd0.  I don't know what mcd0 is supposed to be, so
> I changed the i/o address to 0x360, but on bootup I get ix0 not found at
> 0x300.  I assume I need to recompile the kernel, but I'm not sure what file
> to get for the kernel.  <aybe I have it and don't know it.  I installed the
> bin, info and manpages.

To boot the generic kernel with an ix0 device, I do the following: boot
with -c command, then at the prompt say:

  disable mcd0
  disable mcd1
  disable ed0
  disable ed1
  quit

I don't think all of the above lines are necessary, but it works... :-)

-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com