Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:35:19 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK ports revisited

Dear Kees Jan,

> > (b) Add a few new ports, for *instance*:
> >     * java/linux-sun-jdk12  # The Sun JDK 1.2 for Linux
> >       Will install to ${PREFIX}/linux-sun-jdk1.2.2
> >
> >     * java/linux-ibm-jdk12  # The IBM JDK 1.2 for Linux
> >       Will install to ${PREFIX}/linux-ibm-jdk1.2.2
> >
> Do we need all the Linux 1.2.2 JDK's when 1.3.x is out and 1.4 hitting soon?
> I suggest we don't bother and just use Linux JDK's 1.3.x and higher.
>
> Perhaps we should keep linux sun 1.2.2 around for comparison with our native
> port, but the linux ibm 1.2.2 port is unnecessary.

Well, I wouldn't mind having the 1.2 JDK's in the ports tree, the more JDK's I
can test with, the better. I write my applications to work on JDK 1.2 too, if
you switch to 1.3 then all of your clients will be forced to do the same.

So what do you think of the general approach?

Kind regards.

Ernst
--
Ernst de Haan
Java Architect

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ