Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:48:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeffrey Colter <dejamuse@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Corrupted files?

Hi all,

I successfully got X11 and KDE running on FreeBSD -
I'm a  newbie, so I was very happy!  I had the
internet working and everything.  First I had DHCP and
then I went to a static IP behind my linksys router
and Comcast, so that I could run a website from my
home using Apache.

Then I tried to get Apache to run but was stymied by
configuration errors.  Well, the last thing I did was
to change the etc/rc.conf file to comment out the line
that said: hostname=".comcast.net"  which was
previously set by DHCP (because Apache said it
couldn't resolve it).  Then I rebooted and all hell
broke loose.

I had KDM set to auto start and after putting in the
password, instead of starting KDE it went back to the
login screen and would never start.  I then went into
the shell and manually changed the rc.conf file back
to the way it was and rebooted again.  This time I
could login but I got the blue KDE screen background
and a plain white background terminal box in the lower
right corner, logged in as root.  I could not get KDE
to start again no matter what.

How could I have possibly corrupted something?

Should I remove KDM and reinstall, or do X11 and/or
KDE too?  KDE took an entire day to compile from the
ports, so I am reluctant to do that over again - would
probably use the binary package.

Thanx for the help!

...Jeff