Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 03:00:59 +0200
From:      Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen@piwebs.com>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2, FreeBSD -STABLE, drivers and capabilities

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 23:42, Doug Poland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How does one find out if there is an XFree86/FreeBSD driver for a given
> video adapter and which features are supported (2d vs. 3d, accelerated
> vs. unaccellerated)?
>
> After searching the lists I think I've determined that GeForce4 is not
> supported, but who actually KNOWS that or where is documentation/code
> that one can read to find the definitive answer?
>
> So maybe the GeForce3 has support?  XFree86 website
> ( http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status22.html#22 ) reports:
>
> 22. NVIDIA
>
> 4.2.0:
> =09Support (accelerated) for the Riva 128, 128ZX, TNT, TNT2 (Ultra, Van=
ta,
> M64), GeForce (DDR, 256), Quadro, GeForce2 (GTS, Ultra, MX), GeForce3, =
and
> Quadro2 is provided by the "nv" driver.

2D accelerated.

> Since I'm running 4.2.0 and I have the file:
>
> =09/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nv_drv.o
>
> Do I have accelerated 2d/3d support?

2D only.

> Searching google groups turns up older, ambiguous results.  For example=
 on
> -STABLE, in July 2001 (
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=3Den&lr=3D&ie=3DUTF-8&oe=3DUTF-8&sel=
m=3D9j464j%242
>jpu%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw ) reports...
>
>    "Well, to put this to rest...
>
>    2D support (non-accelerated) has been working for Geforce models sin=
ce
>    at least 4.0.1 (if not before). I've used my Geforce 2 MX with all
>    releases from 4.0.1 to 4.1.0. The announcement is for the accelerate=
>    2D/3D drivers, currently Linux-only. The FreeBSD drivers are in the
>    works, and we're currently just waiting for NVIDIA to help us out on
>    some central issues (see http://nvidia.netexplorer.org). With any lu=
ck,
>    and the NVIDIA engineers having a bit more time (nForce launch and a=
ll),
>    we should have 3D support for pretty much the full line of NVIDIA ca=
rds
>    within the next several weeks."
>
> But I've seen nothing newer that would substantiate that.

Have you seen http://nvidia.netexplorer.org? It says they're still waitin=
g.

> So before I plunk down $100US+ for a graphics adapter, how do I KNOW th=
at
> the card (and which features) is supported?

nVidia 3D accelleration is *not* supported in FreeBSD at this moment, unt=
il=20
the FreeBSD nVidia Driver Initiative (nvidia.netexplorer.org) comes up wi=
th=20
something real good, or until someone reverse-engineers the complete chip=
set=20
and writes a DRI driver. Both of these things probably won't happen soon,=
 so=20
you'd probably be better off buying another card.

Speaking of DRI: more information can be found at=20
people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/. From that site, you can also see that th=
e=20
only 'current-generation' chipset with DRI support is the ATi Radeon 8500=
,=20
and that's with development drivers.

Hope that clarifies some things for you,

Arjan van Leeuwen