Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 23:00:01 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        dg@root.com, cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov, rdkeys@csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2-STABLE

In message <199708261732.KAA02362@freebie.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes:
: Since we've opened the can of worms again, would/could someone run down
: all the tags now in use?  They're kinda hard to deduce.

RELENG_2_1_0		This is the 2.1 branch of the tree.  It is
			stable to the point of being stagnant and
			neglected.  Some easy fixes are still made to
			this branch, but many bug and security fixes
			haven't been applied here.

RELENG_2_2		This is the 2.2 branch of the tree.  This has
			been declared to be the stable branch of the
			tree right now.  It lags current in some
			areas, but has been better maintained than the
			2.1 branch was at this point in its life.  It
			is still active, but stable enough to run on a
			day to day basis.

Other less common tags include:

CSRG			First import of all sources
bsd_44_lite		First import of all sources, baseline for
			everything.
RELENG_x_y_z_RELEASE	The tag (not branch) of the x.y.z release.
RELENG_x_y_BP		Branch point for the file to the x.y release
			branch.  I don't quite understand why this was
			done, but I suspect it has something to do
			with being able to do -r RELENG_x_y_BP -r HEAD
			to see what has changed since things have
			branched (either with cvs log or cvs diff).

Most of these can be found, should one forget, by doing a cvs log on
/usr/src/Makefile (pipe it through more, you'll be happier).