Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:15:41 +0800
From:      "Francis W.S. Yeh" <francis@mail.adc.iii.org.tw>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bug report

Dear Sir:
    Here is a situation I met on our FreeBSD 2.2.2R (prior to
2.2-970625-RELENG) that I consider a bug. A transcript of the commands
that shows this problem is listed below:
mail2[francis]:~> nslookup www.bcc.com.tw
Server:  mail.adc.iii.org.tw
Address:  140.92.75.200

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    BCC_WWW.BCC.COM.TW
Address:  203.69.33.1
Aliases:  www.bcc.com.tw

mail2[francis]:~> ping www.bcc.com.tw
ping: unknown host www.bcc.com.tw
mail2[francis]:~>

    On another FreeBSD 2.2.2R system in the same IP subnet which serves
as our name server, the same problem exists. However, on two other
systems in the same IP subnet with the same DNS settings, the situation
does not occur. One of them is a Sun Ultra1 running Solaris 2.5.1. The
other one is a Windows NT workstation 4.0 Chinese edition Pentium PC.
    I posted the problem on a news group for FreeBSD which is local to
our country a few days ago and got some response. Another one with a
FreeBSD 2.2.2R, a FreeBSD 2.2-970625-RELENG and an older FreeBSD system
responded with similar observation. He found the same problem on his
FreeBSD 2.2.2R and 2.2-970625-RELENG systems but the older system works
well.
    Some one suggests that the problem is related to the other FQDN of
www.bcc.com.tw, i.e. BCC_WWW.BCC.COM.TW, for it has a '_' in its host
name. According to RFC1034, '_' is not said to be an allowable label
character. However, I still wonder why this happens:
(1) Why does nslookup works while ping fails?
(2) Why does other systems works (including older version of FreeBSD)
while FreeBSD 2.2.2R and later fails?

Thanks for all your excellent works. Regards.

--
Francis Wu-Sung Yeh <francis@adc.iii.org.tw>
Avionics Development Center / Institute for Information Industry