Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:55:02 +0000
From:      Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
To:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Cc:        Nicky Chorley <nick.chorley@gmail.com>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0 installation doesn't contain X distributions

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:47:08 +1100 (EST), Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
>>

>>> But the naive or new installer knows of no such thing, and
>>> could beat around in the huge lists of X software for ages, wondering
>>> what's required and what's not to get a desktop going.
>>>
>> Therefore, I always liked the choice for X in sysinstall: It
>> basically installed all the components to get X up and running.
>> No big trouble getting the correct xorg-driver-* packages,
>> installing and removing them, the xorg-input-* packages with
>> the same story...
>>

> There is an X.org meta-package that installs everything though. It is
> just a problem with the beginner not knowing what to select. This can be
> tackled in two ways IMO, first is by creating a "First time FreeBSD
> desktop installer" type article, second would be adding a menu choice in
> sysinstall "Install a standard X desktop {GNOME,KDE}". I must admit I
> much prefer the first solution.

Agree with most of the above except I think an X option and a separate
desktop option in sysinstall is better - not everyone who wants X also
wants gnome or kde. Oh wait that's how it used to be :)

The problem with an article is how to view it during an install and how
to know it is even there.

Chris