Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:40:48 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        mgruver@reveregroup.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to start daemons,... /etc/rc.conf?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 09:07:09PM -0400, mgruver@reveregroup.com wrote:

> You will have to forgive my ignorance... However I have to ask... I have several
> Daeomons I would like to execute on startup of FreeBSD 4.4.

Wow. A visitor from the future. In this universe, FreeBSD 4.1 is the
latest of the 4.x line.

> However, when I
> appended them at the end of the /etc/rc.conf file they didn't start when I
> wanted them to... namely last.

DO NOT PUT COMMANDS IN rc.conf. From rc.conf(5),

     The purpose of rc.conf is not to run commands or perform system startup
     actions directly.  Instead, it is included by the various generic startup
     scripts in /etc which conditionalize their internal actions according to
     the settings found there.

Like you noticed, things may not start when you want, but more
importantly, THERE IS NO GUARANTEE rc.conf WILL BE SOURCED ONLY ONE
TIME. In fact, it is sourced at other times besides boot.

> The daemons I want to start are the named daemon with a custom conf
> file,

Someone else pointed out that this should be done with the builtin
facilities of the rc.* files. See the 'named' options mentioned in
rc.conf(5) or examine the defaults in /etc/defaults/rc.conf (but do
not edit that file).

> and
> the tinyproxy port.  I can start the just fine from the command line after login
> and I know the parameters I want to use, I just don't know where to put them to
> control their execution.

Something like this is typically started by placing a startup script
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. The script should be executable and end in
'.sh'.