Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 22:08:22 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Clarence Brown <clabrown@granitepost.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE2: make install 'fails' ...

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 06:43:20PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> It seems like these could be setup using a shell script. I don't know
> if that is possible either.

Well, you have to consider library namespace pollution.. both KDE 1.x
and KDE 2.x call their libraries libkdeui, libkdecore, [...].  Shell
scripts can't fix that sort of thing easily.. although I suppose maybe
you could override system search paths with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> BTW, I liked your idea of XFree86 broken up into useful pieces. It
> isn't with out bugs and adding patches or etc. should be much easier
> than it is currently.  Downloading 30+MB of source to get a patch
> isn't acceptable. Broken up would make it much nicer :).

I agree.  However, other developers do not agree and feel that we should
be forced to use the vendor's files as they are distributed (the
distfiles).  So you'd still have to download 30MB of distfiles just to
build and install XFree86 libs/headers only.

I'm going to pause on this subject because I'm interested in seeing what
Satoshi and friends are up to.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>