Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:00:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Andriss <andriss@andriss.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recompile daemons after SMP?

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Andriss wrote:

> I have a couple boxes upgrading from single CPU to dual CPUs.
>=20
> After I recompile the kernel with SMP support, do I have to
> recompile all the system daemons (www, ftp, mail) for better
> performance, or will the new kernel be able to run two different
> threads on two CPUs simulteneously, thus giving me a performance
> boost without a major recompile?
>=20
> It would be really great if I don't have to recompile all the
> system software.. but it just sounds too easy to be true.
>=20
> - From my experience, top shows threads on both CPUs after going
> SMP without re-doing most of the system, but is it better to
> recompile anyway?

You don't need to recompile. It doesn't even make sense. The kernel will
balance load on both cpus. There's no hidden flag set at compile time
within the binaries about the number of cpus. :-)

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=