Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:00:09 -0400
From:      "Martin Mactaggart" <martinm@visualedge.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <jly@tritronics.com>
Subject:   Re: de0 link down: cable problem?

    You should ask your questions, no matter how newbie-esque, in
freebsd-questions.

    Otherwise newbies like me will give potentially wrong/deadly answers
such as this one:

    edit or create the file rc.local in your /etc dir... I'm pretty sure
this is the last of the start up scripts to be executed... put your
'ifconfig de0 media 10baseT/UTP' instruction there and will be executed at
boot time. hope that helps.

    I'm replying to you and to freebsd-questions, so if this answer is
really bad, someone's likely to catch the error and inform you.