Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 21:24:33 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-PORTS-L <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: SATAN ported??

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> I'm not sure if I follow your logic here.  Just because a piece of
> software is unstable doesn't mean we can't make good use of it.

    But those who absolutely *need* perl5 can still build it
themselves, as long as they know about the bugs when using it with the
gcc 2.6.3 shared libraries.  I'd rather wait for a less buggier
version to be placed into ports/packages for the FreeBSD masses.  I
have not heard any particularly compelling reason to upgrade to perl5
from perl4036.  The only reason why I even bothered with 5.0 was to
try out SATAN.

> (Also, some people desperately
> need/want to run Satan by themselves before their system is broken
> in....)

    A binaries package should be perfectly suitable for this.

> Yes, a binary package is fine but won't really help people who want to
> take a look and fix the bugs.

    Under 2.0-950322, the fix is trivial.  Compiling with gcc 2.6.2
doesn't pose any problems at all.

> Also, given the nature of people's
> reports, it seems like it is quite a work to make it compile/work on
> all different versions of FreeBSD-2.x (2.0R, 0210, 0322, -current,
> with or w/o gcc 2.6.3), so we need to coordinate our efforts.

    This is true.  I only have access to 950322 machines now and a
patch to get the perl extensions to compile should amount to no more
than a well-placed sed command that filters the source before gcc hits
it.  It still doesn't fix the some of the number formatting problems
elsewhere in perl (which cause the failure of certain tests in the
testsuite).  I'm afraid my C hacking skills aren't good enough to
tackle that last problem though, so I have to content myself with
mailing a bug report off to Larry and hope he'll come out with a patch
himself.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org