Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 22:22:10 -0800
From:      tim@v-com.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   perl scripts to commands?

I've noticed several people having trouble turning their perl scripts into
commands that can be run directly.

Same problem here. Is this a known issue or is there a common mistake which
we are all making?

Here's my scenario:

made the perl script "dosomething.pl"

as the fist line I put "#!/usr/bin/perl"

Although I installed perl to a different directory, I copied the the "perl"
binary to the standard directory as the first line expects.

I "chmod +x" to get it to be able to execute.

And of course when I try to execute it, I get "Command not found"

Somebody responded to one of the other e-mail questions I browsed and said
to try "./" before the perl script command.

It works, but why do I have to do it?

Thanks, Tim

Timothy T. Smith 		V Communications Inc.
				2290 North First Street
SysAdmin 			suite #101
MIS Dept.			San Jose CA 95131
				main:(408)-965-4000
tim@v-com.com			fax:(408)-965-4014

"Computers don't make mistakes. What they do, they do on purpose."
						- Dale (King of the Hill).