Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 01:24:22 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp won't write log

> On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 12:25:22AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > I've started getting a strange error/warning when connecting to my ISP:
> > >
> > > Working in interactive mode
> > > Using interface: tun0
> > > ppp ON marder-1> dial
> > > ppp ON marder-1> Connect: Received: CONNECT 46667/ARQ
> > > Connect: Received: are an unauthorized user, DISCONNECT
> > > PPp ON marder-1>
> > > PPP ON marder-1>
> > >
> > > Although it says ``DISCONNECT'' it still connects. I enabled logging
> >
> > This is probably because the last expect string in your dial chat is
> > CONNECT, and that's what it finds - so the script's complete.
> >

> It is:
>
>  set    dial    "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT&F \
> 		 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT \\c \\n"
>
> but, if my ISP is sending ``DISCONNECT'' does that not mean that
> it (my ISP) is disconnecting?
>
> > You could upgrade to the latest ppp and do a ``set cd 1!'' to make
> > ppp require carrier.  An immediate disconnect should then be detected
> > rather than ppp assuming that the device doesn't do CD.
> >

> Yes, but it's *not* disconnecting, it just says it is.

Exactly.  As far as ppp is concerned, it's seeing CONNECT and testing
for carrier.  Carrier isn't present ('cos your ISP has disconnected)
so ppp assumes that your hardware doesn't support carrier and
ignorantly continues, thinking that everything's ok.

With later versions of ppp you can insist on carrier with the ``!''
in ``set cd 1!''.  Ppp will then notice that there's no link after
your ISP immediately drops it and will correctly close the modem and
notice the failure.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>