Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:41:47 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 1 in 8 success with `pkg_add -r`

On 2002-09-03 13:25 +0000, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > I hope you do realise, though, that without seeing the exact error
> > message printed, if any, nobody can help you effectively.
>
> The usual pkg_add error I normally (often) get is that it is attempting to
> get ftp://blah.blah.blah/pkgname.tgz then a line saying not found.

What's wrong with copy/pasting it all?

> > Then, try using the port to install it:
> > 	# cd /usr/ports/x11/imwheel
>
> I haven't yet learned how to use portupgrade -- in this case I would only
> want imwheel and not -all- ports.  To replicate the folder structure
> locally I would have to do a number of ftp's (since there is no tarball).

I didn't mention anything about portupgrade, or any other port for
that matter.  Just x11/imwheel...

> > 	# make install clean
>
> What does the clean part do? i.e. why make then install then clean (in that
> order?)  Does make install make a binary to run or a sh configure.sh?

"make install" does, well, what you guess from the name.  It installs
the port to your system (after downloading, configuring, compiling the
proper programs, and all that).

"make clean" will remove the temporary files that are created while
the port infrastructure builds the program from source.

Please, refer to the ports(7) manpage and the Handbook chapter on
ports and packages for more information.

--
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve -- http://www.FreeBSD.org